Primary And Secondary Education
NEW YORK - Do public school teachers get tenure just by breathing? It's a claim made by a charter school leader in the education documentary "Waiting for 'Superman,'" which places much of the blame for bad schools nationwide on union rules that protect incompetent teachers.
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles teachers union is promising to challenge a proposed agreement that would change how teachers are laid off in the nation's second-largest school district, while education experts hail it as a landmark that could pave the way for changes in urban districts across the nation.
LOS ANGELES - A proposed agreement that would change how teachers are laid off in the nation's second-largest school district is being hailed as a landmark that could pave the way for changes in urban districts across the nation, but the city's teachers union said Wednesday that it had "serious concerns." The settlement, which must be approved by a judge, would shield up to 45 underperforming schools from teacher layoffs for budget reasons.
LAS VEGAS - A trauma doctor treating one of two Utah teenagers struck by lightning said Wednesday the boy will likely recover but could be left with burn scars across his body.
SALT LAKE CITY - School district officials say two Utah teenagers have been flown to a Las Vegas hospital with life-threatening injuries after being struck by lightning outside their high school.
- Obama calls schools vital for US competitiveness
- Obama holds 1st summit on community colleges at WH
- Support, counseling, education for gay youth
- Feds, Boston schools settle English learner probe
- New sex ed funding ends decade of abstinence-only
- Israel: Principal faces hearing over textbook
- 26 hurt as 2 Metro buses collide in DC suburb
- 17 hurt as 2 Metro buses collide in DC suburb
- APNewsBreak: Charter school group to raise $160M
- Bush Institute launches initiative for principals
- NJ gov: Change how public school teachers are paid
- Rural teacher shortage leads schools to grow own
- LA teacher suicide sparks test-score pushback
- Calls for longer school years face budget reality
- Gates Foundation focuses on college graduation
- Obama: Money alone can't solve school predicament
- Newark hopes Facebook gift translates to results
- Texas ed board adopts resolution limiting Islam
- Troubles of US education get big screen close-up
- Facebook CEO makes $100M gift to NJ school
- Texas ed board considers resolution limiting Islam
- Facebook founder's $100M gift could change Newark
- Education in U.S. gets big screen close up
- Facebook founder giving $100M to Newark schools
- Education Dept. grants $442M for teacher merit pay
- Newark, NJ, schools to get $100M Facebook donation
- Microsoft's Gates joins 'Superman' school mission
- Highly educated less likely to be unemployed
- Calif. charter schools get $1M nod on 'Oprah'
- Pope visits UK Catholic schools, urges trust
- NYC charter school gets $20M Goldman Sachs gift
- Boy, 5, wanders into wrong class, prompts lockdown
- RFK assassination site opens as LA schools complex
- Scores on SAT college entrance test hold steady
- Free's many fees: School unaffordable in Tanzania