NEW YORK - Do public school teachers get tenure just by breathing? It's a claim made by a charter school leader in the education documentary "Waiting for 'Superman,'" which places much of the blame for bad schools nationwide on union rules that protect incompetent teachers.
SEATTLE - For many years, diversity in higher education has been measured by how many low-income students and students of color enroll in college.
NEW YORK - The City University of New York and IBM will open a unique school that merges high school with two years of college, allowing students to earn an associate's degree, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Monday in announcing a series of ambitious educational initiatives.
NEWARK, N.J. - Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is about to make a lot of new friends: The 26-year-old tycoon is pouring $100 million of his staggering fortune into Newark's blighted school system after hitting it off with the mayor of the poverty-stricken city.
NEWARK, N.J. - Mark Zuckerberg, the 26-year-old wunderkind behind Facebook is making a move to become a player in philanthropy just before the opening of a film that portrays him as less than charitable.
- Free's many fees: School unaffordable in Tanzania
- Mayor of poor NJ city offers library rescue plan
- Camden, NJ, preparing to close all its libraries
- Last Carnegie Hall resident forced out of towers
- Does Japan still need 23-yr-old exchange program?
- Former Nev. Gov. Kenny Guinn dies in Las Vegas
- Calif. schools seek Hollywood deals to raise cash
- Financial literacy a priority in Tenn., nationally
- Editorial Roundup: Excerpts From Recent Editorials
- Kan. race shows earmarks are tricky business
- Justices extend gun owner rights nationwide
- Massachusetts town to rethink school condom policy
- Small NYC high schools found to boost achievement
- NY suburb settles suit over Jews' 'Shabbos House'
- 1,000 NYC students walk out to save free rides
- Bases aim for new combat jets, some fear jet noise
- SF mayor wants college accounts for kindergartners
- College World Series is Omaha's party central
- California, other states honor Harvey Milk
- California, other states prepare to honor Milk
- Rachael Ray, NYC mayor 'empower kids to cook'
- 7 children killed at China school in latest attack
- Minn. Senate readies bill to shut $2.9B budget gap
- Chinese city goes on defense after school attack
- China city goes on defense after school attack
- China tightens school security after 3rd attack
- Iranian homosexuals carve out a refuge in Turkey
- Chinese gov't school grant divides SoCal community
- NJ voters reject 59 percent of school budgets
- Philly charter school moonlights as a nightclub
- Massive school closures in KC to be done by fall
- KC superintendent says school closings are painful
- Mass school closures approved in Kansas City, Mo.
- Settlement deep in West Bank seen as peace spoiler
- Okla. bill would merge Corrections, parole board